There is nothing quite like making your own pico de gallo. Sure, you could go to the store and buy a jar of pre-made salsa, but where's the fun in that? First and foremost, making your own pico de gallo ensures that you are using only the freshest ingredients. You get to choose the ripest, juiciest tomatoes and the brightest, most fragrant cilantro. Plus, when you make it yourself, you can adjust the heat level to your personal taste. Whether you want to go mild or extra spicy, it's completely up to you.
This smoky Chipotle Pico de Gallo is made with fresh tomatoes, onion, lime, jalapeño, and of course, Smoked Jalapeño Hot Sauce. The combination of smoky heat from the chipotles and the fresh acidity from the tomatoes is truly unbeatable. As you read the ingredients list you may be asking yourself, "Where is the chipotle pepper?" Well, friends, let us tell you - a chipotle pepper is a smoked jalapeño pepper. That's right, those little green jalapeños that you know and love are transformed into something completely different through the magic of smoke. The resulting flavor is nothing short of magical, and we’ve bottled that magic in the form of Smoked Jalapeño.
A homemade pico de gallo with a super secret ingredient (wink, wink) is sure to impress friends and family at your next gathering!
Watch the video here.
What you need: (yields about 2 cups)
- ½ cup finely chopped white onion (about ½ small onion)
- 1 small jalapeño, finely chopped (decrease if you have a low heat tolerance)
- Juice from half a lime
- 4 small-medium ripe red tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (about ½ bunch)
- 1Tbsp Smoked Jalapeño Hot Sauce (or use Smoky Ghost Hot Sauce if you like it HOT)
- Sea salt to taste
- In a medium serving bowl, combine the chopped onion, jalapeño, lime juice and Smoked Jalapeño. Let it marinate for about 5 minutes while you chop the tomatoes and cilantro.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cilantro to the bowl and mix together. Take a taste and add salt if needed.
- Let the mixture marinate for 15 minutes or several hours in the refrigerator before serving. Pico de gallo keeps while covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Enjoy!