Delicata squash, also known as sweet potato squash or peanut squash, is the most versatile of the winter squashes. Its delicate, edible skin and creamy, sweet flesh make it both unique and low-maintenance. Today, we're digging into a recipe that will change your perspective on this underrated ingredient.
This is not your average squash soup. This is a recipe that elevates delicata squash to new heights, with a little help from Smoky Ghost Hot Sauce. It's a soup that combines sweetness, heat, and smokiness in perfect harmony.
What you need:
- 2 medium-sized delicata squash
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1½ Tbsp Smoky Ghost Hot Sauce (use Smoked Jalapeño if sensitive to heat)
- 2 tsp Umami All-Purpose Seasoning
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Optional: Garnish of choice (we used red pepper flakes, Miyoko's vegan cheese, and fresh parsley), bread or crackers for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Slice off the ends of each delicata squash. Cut lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place each squash half flesh side down on the baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes until flesh is soft.
- Remove the squash from the oven and let cool a few minutes before mashing into a mixing bowl. Add the pumpkin puree, vegetable broth, coconut milk, Smoky Ghost, Umami Seasoning and pepper and blend until you reach desired smoothness. If the soup is too thick for your liking, add coconut milk.
- Transfer mixture into a large pot on the stove and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes to let the flavors meld. Divvy up into bowls, garnish and enjoy!