Adapted from this recipe from Sprouted Kitchen
Do not shy away from this dish on account of the length of the recipe. This dish was a revelation, and a reminder that you don't need meat or dairy to create a masterpiece in the kitchen. From the umami goodness of roasted cauliflower to the unexpected crunch of walnuts, every ingredient in this recipe has a purpose. Don't be afraid to go heavy on the lemon and walnuts, as they add some incredible unexpected flavor and texture to the dish. Do yourself a favor and bookmark this recipe for the next time you want to treat yourself or impress.
What you need:
- 12 oz (¾ lb) rigatoni pasta
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2-3 Tbsp EVOO
- ¼ Tbsp Umami Seasoning
- 1-2 Tbsp Umami Everyday Sauce
- 1 large head kale, ribbed and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice separated
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3 Tbsp JUST Egg
- ½ cup cream - We subbed Kite Hill Almond Milk Unsweetened Yogurt
- 12 oz Kite Hill Almond Milk Ricotta
- 4 oz Follow Your Heart Grated Parmesan
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Break the cauliflower into florets and place them evenly on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil, pepper, Umami Everyday Sauce and Umami Seasoning and mix all together so that the cauliflower florets are well-coated. Roast everything for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of your florets. They should just begin to brown.
- Pull the pan out of the oven and add the kale, garlic, and a splash more Umami Everyday Sauce and toss everything again. Pop it back in the oven for 10 minutes for the kale to wilt a bit. Pull and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta al dente, do not let it get mushy. Before you drain the pasta, make sure to reserve at least 1 cup of pasta water.
- In another large mixing bowl, stir together the ricotta, lemon zest, Italian seasoning, fresh ground pepper, cream substitute, JUST egg, and ¼ cup parmesan. Stir everything together well.
- Stir the al dente noodles into the cheese mixture. Add the roasted cauliflower and kale to the bowl and stir again. Add a ½ cup of pasta water and give it another stir.
- Leave the oven heated at 425°F. Coat a 2 qt. baking dish or 10-12” cast iron pan. Tip the pasta mixture in. Squeeze the lemon juice all over the top of the pasta. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan and red pepper flakes on top. Loosely cover the dish with foil. Bake, covered, for 10 minutes, turn the heat up to 475°, uncover the dish, sprinkle the walnuts, and bake another ~10 minutes until the top is just bronzed. Remove and sprinkle fresh parsley on top to serve.